Hrant Dink was assassinated in front of the Agos newspaper headcounters in Istanbul, nine years ago today. He was the editor-in-chief and a founding member of the Turkish-Armenian bilingual newspaper, had written and spoken about the Armenian Genocide and was an outspoken advocate of human and minority rights in Turkey.
Hrant Dink’s life and death will be commemorated today in different cities of Turkey, Armenia and many other countries. Here is a list of events dedicated to the memory of the famous journalist posted by Agos newspaper.
- January 19, 2:30 pm: Gathering in front of the former building of Agos, where Hrant Dink was assassinated.
- January 19, 1.30 pm: March to Agos from Taksim with the participation of AKA-DER, DİSK BASINİŞ, Halkevleri, HDP İstanbul, Kaldıraç, Nor Zartonk, Yeniyol and ÖDP. There will be a “justice watch” between 17and 9 pm on the sidewalk where he was murdered.
- January 19, 3 pm, commemoration ceremony in front of Human Rights Statue in Yüksel Street. Democratic mass organizations will make a statement to the press.
- January 19, 7 pm: March to Heykel from Setbaşı Mahfel.
- January 19, 6 pm: Marches in Kottbusser Tor, in Kreuzberg.
- January 19, 8:30 pm: Concert in memory of Hrant Dink in Studio R in Berlin. Muammer Ketencoğlu, Stepan Gantralyan, Mareike Beykirch, Mehmet Yılmaz and Deniz Utlu will perform Armenian songs.
- January 19, 6pm: Memorial ceremony at the ABF House in Stockholm
- January 24, 2 pm: ‘Voices in Dialogue” will commemorate Hrant Dink and Tahir Elçi in Ottawa.
- February 6, 7 pm: “Being a journalist in Turkey: the value of truth” at the City Hall of 10th arrondissement. Rakel Dink, Can Dündar’s wife Dilek Dündar and Uğur Mumcu’s son Özgür Mumcu will be in attendance. The event is organized with the participation of L’ACORT, CRC, AEC-HCA and RSF.
- January 19, 5pm: Petition campaign in front of the Yerevan Municipality to name a street in Yerevan after Hrant Dink. Followed by a march to Republic Square, where a vigil is planned to take place.
Civilnet will be covering the Hrant Dink Commemoration in Yerevan. Follow us for a full report.